parallax background


Importer & Importer Non-Resident

If you must export food to Canada you need a licenced Canadian importer. If you are a foreign business that prepares foods for export to Canada, you cannot apply for a licence under the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) unless you qualify as a non-resident importer.

All requirements of the SFCR in relation to importing food apply to both non-resident and resident importers.

The SFCR requires that a NRI must send the food directly to Canada from a CFIA recognized foreign state. For food other than meat and live or raw shellfish, the United States (US) is currently the only recognized foreign state from which a NRI can send certain foods directly to Canada.

For example, a NRI located in the United States (US) would not be able to import cheese directly to Canada from any country other than the US since no other country is recognized for imports of such products at this time. Such a shipment would have to be imported into the US where it would be subject to US government oversight before it is sent to Canada.

For the Canadian market, the International Trade Alliance can work as “non-resident Importer” for the US industries. We have partnerships that support companies with identifying potential public warehouses in North America and logistics tools for their businesses. Our Canadian partner can also play the role of an importer with their license in respect to the new Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) or support firm with the SFCR legal requirements.